About Packing List Document (Value of Shipment)
Importance of Packing List
You would be required to give a packing list document when requesting a quote from a freight forwarder or your logistics partner for your shipment. We'll show you how crucial it is for you to give your freight forwarder a packing list.
What is a Packing List?
Each package's contents are listed on a packing list (box, pallets, etc). It contains specific lists of the items in each package, as well as weights and measurements. A copy of the packing list should be placed inside each carton or package, and a copy of the packing list can also be attached to the outside of a package.
In respect of international shipping of sea freight from the USA, valued packing list must be in English and provide the following information:
- International shipping reference(s) related to the international shipment;
- Ports of origin and destination;
- Shippers and Consignee (Recipient) full name, address and contact information;
- Detailed description of goods being shipped;
- The quantities in weight and measures and;
- Value of each item in USD assigned by the shipper.
Commercial Invoice and Packing List
In international shipping valued packing list is a substitute to commercial Invoice. International shippers should not confuse a packing list (1) used for commercial international ocean freight shipments and a valued packing list (2) used by origin and destination customs in purpose to control legality of commodity and assign duty, taxes etc (if any) on the international ocean freight shipments.
- In commercial international ocean freight shipping, a packing list is an attachment to a commercial Invoice submitted by to a commercial international shipment. This packing list provides additional details on packing of shipped goods and may not contain value of shipped goods. Do not confuse such packing lists with fumigation certificates.
- Valued packing lists in international shipping of ocean freight, in certain cases (particularly when shipping internationally household goods or personal belongings that are not for sale), act as substitutes to proforma commercial Invoices. Valued packing lists in international shipping contain all mandatory information required to be provided in commercial Invoice , including value of each shipping unit. In U.S. Related international shipments the value must be assigned in US dollar.
In international shipping of household goods and personal belongings using international ocean freight services, international shippers provide description of shipped goods and assign value of each shipping unit in form of valued packing list. Then no commercial Invoice's should require on such international shipments. However, customs in certain countries will require commercial Invoice s on international shipments containing household goods and personal belongings anyway. Then, in respect of international shipping from the USA , such shipments can be declared at a time of export from U.S. In form of valued packing lists. Upon arrival to destination, at a time of entering in destination's country commerce zone, those valued packing lists can be easily transferred into commercial Invoices forms.
Our online form for filling Valued Packing Lists on sea freight international shipments from the USA
Using our real-time online automated shipping system on international shipping sea freight from the USA , our clients should be able to fill out and submit a valued packing list online, via link in our shipping instructions. The format of the submitted online valued packing list is acceptable by most international shipping companies and US Customs. Most of the time it should be acceptable by destination customs as well.
Upon your booking request online we will e-mail to you this link within our international shipping instructions.
Notice: the valued packing list draft sent to you in email in our international shipping instructions on your sea freight shipment is unique. It will be generated individually on your international sea freight shipment and pre-formatted based on the information that you had provided when you booked your international shipment online in our website.
Important: when you are submitting to us your international shipping documents online, always double-check all information that you have submitted. If you see errors or typos, then urgently re-submit these international shipping document or contact us via email to correct it, with no verbal correction requests will be accepted. All corrections requested to be done in your international shipping documents must be sent to us via email.
During the process of submitting your international shipping documents to your international ocean freight shipment online, you will have several opportunities to edit and re- submit these international shipping documents. However, as soon as your international shipping documents are submitted to the ocean freight carrier, all further corrections may be subject to amendments fee or even be possible only at a time when you recover your international shipment at the destination.
Importers are responsible for all fees, US laws and international laws.
Function of Packing List
The contents of each shipment are detailed on a packing list (box, pallets, etc). The document specifies the contents of each package, including its weight, dimensions, and contents. A copy of the packing list should be placed inside the package, and a copy should also be attached to the outside of the package for easy reference.
Packing List vs Bill of Lading
A bill of lading is a legal document that states the transfer of ownership of goods from sellers to purchasers, while a packing list or packing slip just indicates when products were received.